This hot and spicy Caribbean banana soup is so very delicious that I clean my dish afterwards directly on the table using my tongue (naughty me 😉
With a big, big question mark behind that thought I sat baffled as our friend Antje served us some banana soup on her last birthday party.
I was going back and forth about it like how would it taste, rather too sweet and bananish…..
“What do I do if it is just not my thing?” I thought and glanced at Malte who I had in mind to help me out when I didn’t want to finish up my soup.
As you can imagine I was getting a little nervous!
But then it happened!!!
I took my big spoon and dug right in, taking a big one, trying it out full monty AND WHAT CAN I SAY….. THIS SOUP IS DELICIOUS !!!
This banana spoup was so creamy and full in taste, sweetish and little hot around the edges, I surely didn’t expect it to be THIS yummy.
I couldn’t help Antje to ask her for the recipe, according to her coconut milk, curry and and the light sweetness of the bananas make the perfect blend and harmonize into this ambrosial dish.
Malte and I were sure about one thing right away: This banana soup had to be tried out in our kitchen asap.
Luckily our friend shared the recipe with us which we changed a bit according to our tastebuds – THX Antje for this delicious soup-recipe!
The banana-soup was served to us with some fried chicken chunks.
To give it a little more Caribbean feeling we added some garlic grilled scampi instead of the chicken chunks (a dish without garlic is hardly possible with us 😉 )
- 3 lb bananas
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 slices of celery root
- 1 can of coconut milk
- juice of one lemon
- paprika powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (NOTE 1)
- some parsley
- saffron to garnish
- For the shrimp-skewers
- 20 shrimps
- 4 wooden skewers
- garlic oil (NOTE 2)
- Defrost and devein shrimps if needed.
- Cut potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic & celery root into rather small pieces, fry it all together on medium heat in coconut oil.
- Add coconut milk and some water, leave to boil.
- Add bananas, lemon juice & spices to taste. CAREFUL NOW, THE SOUP CAN STICK TO BOTTOM EASILY SINCE THE BANANAS ARE IN ! ! !
- Leave soup to cool a little, blend it real fine. Reheat for serving.
- Place the shrimps onto the skewers, 5 each. Heat garlic oil in pan and place skewers, salt´n´pepper them, turn them over once, finished, ready to garnish with parsley & spices, serve.
2. We always have garlic oil in our fridge. Screw top jar filled with olive oil, grated down garlic cloves and 3 pinches of sea salt. Lasts long and is always handy to have.