This juicy pasta salad gets your summer feeling going right away!
The mixture of fresh tomatoes, capers, parsley, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and pumpkin seed oil will give you a real boost into the day or might even blow you out of your socks!
It is just another taste sensation which I developed through the years and which became nearly perfect, one of our all-time favorites.
As you can imagine I tried quite a few pasta salads in my life, standing at the buffet of several parties where many guests contributed to an amazing buffet-performance.
There I soon found out:
PASTA SALADS WITH PESTO OR MAYONNAISE ARE NOT FOR ME 😉
I always enjoy these kind of parties, especially in summertime with a campfire going by the sea and some dancing going on.
Sooner or later I find myself with others around the buffet, trying a tbsp from each salad or other contribution; of course I put it onto my plate first lol.
During these excursion I always discover new recipes, talk to the other guest on how it might have been made, you can see me standing, taste-testing and chatting for quite a while.
Other guests ask me while coming back to fill up their plate:”Hey, you haven’t made it to the table yet?”
“Na, still tasting around, here is the party!”
So, on several occasions I came past many pasta salads, combined them at home in my own style into this Mediterranean mix with a special Styrian twist.
When Britta, the twins and me lived in Vienna for around six month we bought some Styrian pumpkinseed-oil at the supermarket.
It was my brother-in-law Robert who made me aware of the fact that this oil is sold to a high price and thinned down with some other oils, low quality stuff!
He actually went with his then fiancée to the Styrian market at the Vienna town hall and brought home the finest pumpkinseed-oil he could get his hands on.
Thick and dark green of consistency, 100% quality style, it’s a real taste sensation and since it is so rich you don’t need very much of it to make a big pasta salad.
- 300 g sundried tomatoes
- 500 g tomatoes
- 300 g olives
- 1 glass capers
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Ground pepper from the mill
- 1 kg pasta of your choice
- 6 tbsp pumpkinseed oil
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 3 cloves garlic
- Use large pot: bring 1 gal of saltwater to boiling point, cook pasta al dente*.
- IN THE MEANTIME
- Use large kitchen knife & cutting board: cut the sun-dried tomatoes in ¼ inch pieces, set aside. chop the garlic into even smaller pieces.
- Use kitchen sieve: rinse the capers and olives (if they are in brine), set aside.
- Use small pot & big mixing bowl: heat 3 tbsp of olive oil and the garlic at lowest possible temperature, add 3 pinches of salt, stir now and then, when the garlic is "filling the room" and starts to get brownish add to mixing bowl with capers, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, pasta and mix gently.
- Add pumpkin seed oil.
- Use large kitchen knife & cutting board: mince parsley, cut the tomato in bite-size pieces*, stir gently under the salad, season with black pepper from the mill and serve!
Adding the tomatos last keeps them juicier.