This Original Italian Tiramisu will make you forget everything, what has been called previously as “Tiramisu”.
When you finally realize how simple it is, you will want to do it by yourself everytime.
I’m not here to say that it is light and easy on your hips.
Quite the opposite, it is a real calorie bomb and has already given me one or two extra rolls on the belly 😃 But sometimes it just has to be a real calorie bomb, right? Something sweet and indulging, a real filler, creamy lane on your tastebuds all the way, something to pull you up and out of the daily routine and healthy, pulled back eating diet. And if it tastes so sexy, like this Tiramisu, I just don’t WANT to control myself. Give me a BIG spoon and I’ll eat it up by myself, the whole tray for me is just fine!
“Ohhh, I would love to have Tiramisu once again!”, I had said the other day to my husband, as I was in the evening, suddenly attacked by cravings. Malte had to laugh. “Once again” could not be mentioned, just the week before twe had made a huge casserole dish Tiramisu for the both of us and also ate it up!
Ok, I’m honest, three pieces we gave to our neighbors, because it was too much for us alone 😊
Nevertheless, the next day he bought all the ingredients we needed, and in the evening, while I brought our three children to bed, he started to make the best original italian Tiramisu in the world.
Just look at these layers!!! A dream made of espresso soaked lady fingers, mascarpone cheese, rum, eggs, powdered sugar and cocoa-icing.
If you look around a bit, you will find quite a lot of Tiramisu recipes on the internet. They use whipped cream in the filling, vanilla pudding, recipes without alcohol, with fruits, everything is there to be found.
For us: we NEED the REAL BURNER! We want the coffee taste in the filling, and we want the alcohol inside, because it is the heart of it all, and we want it to be PERFECT.
We found for us the best recipe, and have kept it as simple as possible.
A little excursion on how we found out all about it?
When we met in Vienna in 2010 Malte was already in the process in trying out the best Tiramisu. In Austria they have much thinner lady fingers, by a brand named “Manner“. Using these we achieved many layers inside the tiramisu.
We started soaking the lady fingers one by one in a mixture or coffee and rum. This took some time and the Tiramisu became too moist inside and tasted way too much like coffee and alcohol, one piece of this and we were drunk 😀
So instead we decided to sprinkle the coffee on top and put the rum into the mascarpone-cream. That was better but a little too little coffee and also it took again too long to do it.
Now we use a water sprayer which we fill with chilled coffee. This works very fine and is perfect for taste and cook flow.
Also we actually imported some “Manner” lady fingers to Germany first until we had the idea to grate them down to the wanted thickness.
Last but not least we experimented with lady fingers upside down or not.
You will find the detailed instructions below!
After this little story you will be amazed how quickly such a creamy and delicious Tiramisu is made, please comment below on your experiences!
I just noticed while writing that it is in time for a piece of the best tiramisu again! Since the last piece it has been much to loooong 😉a week has passed, for sure.
As I imagine: Tiramisu means to me “pull me up” 😀
- 4 lb mascarpone
- 4 heaping tbsp icing sugar, sieved
- 10 eggs from happy chickens
- 1 lb lady fingers
- 4 bottle tops of rum, brand according to taste
- 2 cups espresso, approx. 10 oz
- 3 heaping tbsp cocoa, deoiled
- Brew 2 cups of espresso and let it cool down in a soup plate, fill into the water sprayer afterwards. (see notes)
- Take the eggs out of the fridge to let them adjust to room temperature.
- Use mixing bowl & grater: grate all the lady fingers down to half their height, keep the iced side for further processing. (see notes)
- Use whisk & mixing bowl, kitchen sieve: separate eggs, park the egg white in the food processor. Stir the egg yolks with the sieved icing sugar and add the rum, stir in the mascarpone until it becomes "one".
- Use food processor: beat the egg white until stiff.
- Use whisk and mixing bowl: gently fold the egg white into the mascarpone-cream.
- Use casserole dish and water sprayer: Place the grated down lady fingers
- (this way the sugar can move into the mascarpone-cream 😉 as close as possible next to each other into the casserole dish and spray espresso over them until they change to brown, be careful not to soak them though!
- Use spreader: spread the mascarpone-cream now evenly and carefully onto the layed out lady fingers until they just cover them entirely.
- Now lay out grated down lady fingers
- but crossways to the first layer, spray with espresso and cover with mascarpone-cream.
- Repeat this process until the lady fingers are all gone or the casserole dish is full, you should get 4-5 layers of lady fingers this way.
- With the remaining mascarpone-cream you can create a final, even layer.
- Use kitchen sieve: powder the now "ready to cool"-tiramisu with a rather thick layer of cocoa.
- Put the tiramisu into the refrigerator without using a lid or plastic foil --> this way it loses some moisture and becomes "set".
- If you let it rest for 12 hrs all flavors inside have mixed entirely and it even tastes better 😉